Tag Archives: software

Parsing WFM Oscilloscope files in C

So, I got this Rigol Oscilloscope – I wrote a little instructable about it. One cool feature is the ability to save waveforms to a USB stick. There are many options for the file format, but the default is a WFM file. Now, a true minimalist could just use the CSV option, but the WFM is a binary format that contains a lot more information directly from the scope. I wrote a little C program hosted on github that allows you to convert those pesky proprietary files into something useful – namely a gnuplot image!

This is super alpha, and I’ll happily take patches. Cheers!


Extracting M2TS length from a BDMV directory in Linux

I was having the hardest time getting various programs to echo the runtime of m2ts files in Linux, and it turns out someone wrote a parser for the files in the BDMV/PLAYLIST directory, which have all of this information.

  • Get bdtools. I got Version 1.4. You can find it here.
  • ./configure && make && sudo make install
  • Try running mpls_dump. I got this error when running:
    mpls_dump: error while loading shared libraries: libbd-1.0.so.1: cannot open shared object file: 
    No such file or directory

  • To fix it, do this:
    echo "/usr/local/lib" | sudo tee -a /etc/ld.so.conf
    sudo ldconfig

Calibre with the Nook on Ubuntu

Calibre is about the best thing since sliced bread. It is able to convert basically any type of Ebook format into EPUB, which is what my Nook reads natively. It seamlessly syncs with the Nook as well, which is a huge plus, and all of this happens in Linux. I highly recommend this software. Just make sure not to queue up too many jobs, or it might DOS your computer for a bit. The PDF conversion is especially intensive. It makes quick work of short documents (hundreds of pages), but documents that are thousands of pages take much, much longer. The only capability I’m missing currently is conversion of DOC to EPUB, but I can use OpenOffice to convert a DOC to HTML, and then import that into Calibre and convert it, so that works.

Fixing italics in Calibre EPUB output

I converted an ebook from TXT to EPUB today using Calibre, and found that the italics (which in the TXT file are annotated /like this/) are not converted into the HTML equivalent.  I did the following to fix this:

  1. unzip ebook.epub -d tmpbook
  2. cd tmpbook
  3. perl -i.bak -pe 's/([\s-,.;\'?:]+)\/(.+?)\/([\s-,.;\'?:]+)/$1<i>$2<\/i>$3/sg;' *html
  4. That will create.bak files just in case anything went wrong.  To revert the changes, do this:
    for i in *.bak; do mv $i ${i%.bak}; done
  5. zip -r ebook.zip * && mv ebook.zip ebook.epub

Then, I found out Calibre works beautifully with the Nook, so I just popped it on there and it worked.

Making WordPress live in a subdirectory

I found an interesting article today about WordPress.  It was how to make it live in another directory. I needed that, so I followed the instructions, and it worked. WordPress is so much easier to install and configure than Mephisto.  It’s even easier to use than Mephisto.  I can see almost no reason anyone would want to use Mephisto anymore, other than nostalgia – WordPress has really cleaned up its act.  It seems the most recent public vulnerabilities to it were apparently way back in 2.3 (I’m on 2.8).  So, I recommend my readers either get some hosting and start their own installation, or jump over to WordPress.com and make one of their own!