OOC is cool. Yesterday I started writing some code in it after reading about it on the github blog. Here is the first result:
I’m extremely happy with how well this performs. Using the latest ooc Java compiler from the github trunk to handle the each() functions, this compiles down to a bunch of C code, and then is automagically compiled behind the scenes into an ELF Binary! This is totally awesome, and I have to commend nddrylliog and the other contributors for their work on this awesome project. Now I should use it for something useful :D
A quick note about getting it running on Ubuntu:
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk
git clone git://github.com/nddrylliog/ooc.git
At least, that’s how I did it. Then I compile all my ooc with a Makefile like this:
There’s this site that has an equipment exchange I wanted to keep track of. Yet, it’s done with what seems to be a custom php file rather than vbulletin, so none of the usual RSS feeds from the site apply to it. So, I decided to make a scraper/feed-generator to get me the latest version every 5 minutes and generate a nice RSS feed, so I can view it in Google Reader. The volume of posting is low enough that this won’t be annoying to see in my daily feeds.
I usually use Ruby for this because it offers Hpricot, a very nice and fast scraper and XPath interface. This time, I resolved to find something that does RSS generation better, and I stumbled upon RubyRSS, which happens to be in the core ruby distribution! Continue reading →