I’ve been using Kopete on my quest to convert to KDE, and I’ve been extremely annoyed by previous conversions showing up in my chat windows. The option to disable it didn’t seem to be anywhere, but I found a forum post that pointed me to the Plugins section of the configuration.
Just disable the plugin entirely or open it and mess with the configuration. Things like that shouldn’t be on by default, along with chat window tabs (when did this become common?) and annoying buttons for fonts and emoticons. But, maybe I’m more minimalistic than many.
So, recently, I installed Ubuntu karmic cleanly on my main desktop machine here at home, and I have really liked it. I even switched to KDE, and everything has been working better than it had been in GNOME. I tried setting up Skype the other day, and ran into an issue with the microphone. It turns out that since the new Skype uses PulseAudio, there’s a further configuration step that’s not so obvious. I found out here that you have to do the following:
sudo apt-get install pavucontrol pavucontrol
Then, go to the Input Devices tab, and unmute the sound (click the little speaker with a red X until the controls at the bottom are enabled). Then, change the Port setting until you can see the bars move when you tap the microphone. Then try Skype. This worked perfectly for me – it’s too bad it’s not connected to the KDE sound mixer, but oh well. Maybe in the future that will happen.
OOC is cool. Yesterday I started writing some code in it after reading about it on the github blog. Here is the first result:
I’m extremely happy with how well this performs. Using the latest ooc Java compiler from the github trunk to handle the each() functions, this compiles down to a bunch of C code, and then is automagically compiled behind the scenes into an ELF Binary! This is totally awesome, and I have to commend nddrylliog and the other contributors for their work on this awesome project. Now I should use it for something useful :D
A quick note about getting it running on Ubuntu:
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk git clone git://github.com/nddrylliog/ooc.git cd ooc JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/ make
At least, that’s how I did it. Then I compile all my ooc with a Makefile like this:
INPUTS=$(wildcard *.ooc) TARGETS=$(patsubst %.ooc, %, $(INPUTS)) all: $(TARGETS) %: %.ooc java -jar ~/repos/ooc/bin/ooc.jar $@
That will compile all ooc files in the directory.
I used to use lirc with mplayer to allow my Packard Bell crappy remote to work awesomely, but I have since lost that configuration and switched to smplayer, since it’s awesome. Today, I figured out how to control smplayer using similar means.